Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Spring Reading Thing - Done!


I'm ready to get rid of the the Spring Reading Thing button on my sidebar! Since Spring has been over now for about a week and over at Callapidder Days the Mr. Linky is very long because everybody else has already posted- I committed to catching up today! I actually read quite a bit while I was gone - I love to read in the car.

I didn't finish the all the books I had listed. I just couldn't get into Blue Like Jazz. I'm sure this makes me a super-square Christian but I wasn't interested. I haven't given up totally - I still have the book.

I finished Infidel before I left for Branson. It's a 7-day book at the library so I had to get it back before I was gone for 10 days. I really enjoyed this autobiography of a Somali woman who grew up Muslim (all Somalis are Muslim.) I didn't agree with all she grew to believe in her adulthood but the description of her youth is harrowing. The anger and hate she wrote about among her Muslim family, friends and neighbors is just frightening. A good read especially if you're interested in Islam or women's issues.

I sped though Water for Elephants. Great story. Told by 90-year-old (or 93, he can't remember) about the summer of 1931 and his time with the circus. I loved the way the author dealt with old age - she made it real. She made me want to be friends with all the old people. The circus story is intriguing, too. This is during the Great Depression and most of the circus folks were just happy to have a place to sleep and something to eat. Read this one.

Go here for my complete list of what I committed to read (but didn't quite finish.)


I also wanna tell about another book I read on my trip - The Android's Dream. I had seen this listed on my Dsytopian Challenge and when I saw it at the library, I picked it up. I truly loved this book! I kept trying to get Jim to read it. I could see the movie that would come it. It was a sci-fi thriller and I couldn't put it down! The author invented several alien species that went along with in the story and an entire religion that figured prominently in the story. I realize this isn't for everybody - some of you will be put off by the words sci-fi but it was wonderful!

0 comments: