Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Reading is Fundemental, Part Quatro

Yes, I've finished two more books. They were both very quick reads.

Violets are Blue by James Patterson was first. I've read James Patterson before - in fact, most of the books in the Alex Delaware series. I like Alex and he's the main reason I would pick up another Patterson mystery novel. I love mystery novels. They move so quickly, the bad guy gets caught, they usually follow a formula - I just devour them. BUT James Patterson writes about some VERY bad guys. I can't read his work when Jim is working nights - it was difficult with Jim in the next room. These bad guys were vampires. (Does it seem that vampires are a trend?) I do enjoy Alex Delaware (that's Morgan Freeman in Kiss the Girls - the movie.) He's a good dad who struggles with his life. You've been warned. Read at your own risk.

Unlocking the Meaning of Lost: An Unauthorized Guide by Lynette Porter and David Lavery was my foray into non-fiction. I was trying to find something that wasn't a biography that I could finish. I kept expecting to put this one down but the writing was simplistic and I was expecting something wonderful on the next page. It read like a magazine article so it was soooo easy. It did make me go to the library and check out the DVD to watch again. It didn't give any great secrets. If you're a Lost fan, it had it's moments. Basically, read this stuff online.

**********************************
In the pop culture mode, I must tell you about the best show you aren't watching. The Closer on TNT. This is a wonderful waste of 1 hour on Monday nights. Kyra Sedwick plays Brenda Leigh Johnson, a Southerner (Georgia?) who works in LA as a homicide investigator. LOVE HER. She's funny, quirky, smart, and the bad guys always get theirs. It isn't always pretty but the bad guys get it in the end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read anything by Dean Koontz? I love him. He writes scary novels. Sometimes his language is bad, but I just try to ignore it. It always still irritates me though, because it doesn't make the story any better with it in there. But I guess that goes for anything, movies alike. Seems like its hard to find any movies nowadays that aren't full of swearing. Kinda sad. Even TV is full of it. Anyways, I want to try one of your mystery novels. And you can try one of mine. =)

boomama said...

We TiVo The Closer - Kyra Sedgwick cracks me up - and I love that when her mother calls her, the cell phone says, "Mama." Now THAT's a Southern girl. :-)

Anonymous said...

Denise -

First, I'm happy one of your lovely photos from Abilene won a Finding Direction prize. I couldn't resist, you know, being ever the romantic.

As for this post on reading, when I saw "Violets Are Blue," I immediately thought of the movie that Tom and I have seen several times and which is a lovely, romantic, if bittersweet, story. We greatly identified with it with him being a newspaper publisher and me having had a Hobie 18' for several years that Tom and I spent hours and hours on out on the relatively calm waters of the Mississippi gulf sound inside the barrier islands.

It stars Kevin Kline and Sissy Spaceck and was filmed in Ocean City, Maryland (not far from where I lived in northern Virginia for several years outside Washington, D. C). Y'all check it out and watch it, hear?!

Here's the link at Amazon, and you all MUST see it some time or another, whether from Blockbuster, Netflix (our current best movie supplier) or whatever: "Violets Are Blue".