Saturday, February 18, 2006

Sounds Heavenly

I have never liked the song "Mansion Over the Hilltop." I know the Bible says that Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us but do we have to be so selfish? A mansion, a robe and a crown? A gold one that's silver lined? One of the reasons I love the song "There's a Stirring" is because we get to lay down our crowns at Jesus's feet. I have since found out that this is in Revelation. I rebelled for years against the idea that our reward was tied to our good works. Finally I gave up. In lieu of the whole gold and silver lined mansion, I'm trusting God for a hut on the beach. I always envision Gilligian's place with the hammock.
Last week our director was talking about her job in heaven. I'd never thought of my job. She is planning on nursing - yes, breastfeeding. I asked just to be sure. It can be a wonderful experience but I say more power to her. So maybe my job will be handing out HUGE beach towels, comfy chairs, ipods with the best beach music, I don't know. I figure there won't be a commute.

9 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Glory. 'Is He calling me?" Can you imagine the feelings when He does call us, when He brings us home. I am teary just thinking about it. This world is not my home I am just a passin' through.

Sarah said...

There are jobs? Besides singing his praises? I think I would like to be a mattress appraiser. . .

stephc said...

o.k when you put it that way it does seem a bit selfish, but I have to confess . . . I love that song. . . well maybe not the words or the just a little too perky tempo . . . but it was a standard at the church of my youth . . . and I am reveling in the flood of memories that song just stirred. That is why I love it!

And I want to be the food taster or a chochlatier. Wouldn't that be heavenly!

Tammy M. said...

I am with Stephanie, I love the song too! for the same reasons, I get vivid memories of singing in a pew with my mom right next to me when I think of that song. Stephanie you and I can be co-tasters of chocolates hows that?

AbbieCRAZY said...

In case you have have attempted to link to Revelation, it won't work. I tried. It's Rev 4:10 and it's the elders who lay down their crowns. I figure I'll be an elder be that time.

Any other heavenly jobs out there? Maybe in hell someone has to change dirty diapers all day?

Robyn said...

Although I like your directors suggestion, I would choose bike monitor. My favorite job at CP's preschool was to be the bike monitor-it was a coop preschool so each parent had to work one of the three mornings a week(Lauren was in a backpack and the So. CA weather was ALWAYS perfect). They had a large fenced in area with super cool trikes and ride on toys. As bike monitor your job was to play red light/green light, build obstacle courses, traffic cop and judge for the races that the kids sometimes got into. It was a blast!!!! The job from down under for me would be having to play "Chutes and Ladders" and Candyland for eternity!

Anne said...

As for my job in Heaven...I think I would like to be in the fashion design department for "Angel Wear". That sounds like something fun.

Another song I love is "This World is Not My Home"...when it says..."Angels beckon me from Heaven's open door...", I can picture my angel babies waiting for me with big smiles on their faces! Gives me warm feelings!

Steve said...

My problem with the song is that I am often not "satisfied with just a cottage below".

Jobs in Heaven? I would trust God's job placement service if there really are jobs in Heaven. He knows what would be perfect for me.

Anne said...

Denise: After your comments on Blessed Be Your Name, I have been doing a lot of thinking. When we sang the song on Sunday, it brought tears to my eyes. In the car on the way home, I commented to Nathaniel that I couldn't sing that song without crying, and his reply was, "Me either". Thanks for helping us think, and making that song hold a very special place in both of our hearts.