Tuesday, April 03, 2007

What, Me Encourage?

So many time in my life I've been called a Barnabas - an Encourager. I've never felt that to be true. Aren't Encouragers supposed to encourage? Aren't Encouragers supposed to make you feel better? Don't Encouragers lift you up? Don't Encouragers teach you to be better people?

I've always thought I had a big mouth. I've realized though the years that sometimes my big mouth is funny and sometimes it's cutting. Biting. Digging. Slicing to the core. Sometimes that's needed but not usually. The only people in Jesus's life that he used harsh words with were the Pharisees and the Religious Leaders of His time. I haven't met any Pharisees lately.

One of these days I'll get it. I figure I'll be old and infirm by then. I'll finally quit putting my foot in my mouth. I'll finally say nice, forgiving things about people. I'll finally learn to cut all us sinners some slack. Until then I ask your forgiveness for the stuff I say and write. I know I don't deserve it but I hope you'll give it. I'll try to be funny without hurting some one's feelings.

All of us do many wrong things. But if you can control your tongue, you are mature and able to control your whole body.
James 3:2

7 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Ah...sister. We are all on a journey. As long as we are one step closer to being like Jesus, we have died a bit more to ourself and our fleshly nature and taken on a bit more of His holiness I am praising God. Beth's new word for today...
Yahoo-Jah!! A Texas Halleluiah.

Anonymous said...

Friend - you are so dear to me. Why do you think I come to you? To be encouraged! Tammy is so right - I complete agree. We are on a journey. One step at a time. I appreciate the hand you lend to me along the way.

Holly said...

I wish I had words as wise as Tammy and yvonne. Listen to them.

Anne said...

You are definitely an encouragement to me...and I am so thankful for your friendship.

Lisa said...

Yes, you encourage. Many people in many ways.

You are loved!

Sarah said...

Girl, I am with ya! I feel like I spend half of my life apologizing for something I said and the other half saying stuff I need to apologize for. I hate reading through Proverbs where the common theme is "A fool and his mouth!" The Lord pricks our heart, we learn one more time an appropriate time to keep our mouths shut, and we learn to extend A LOT of grace to people who say hurtful/careless/ reckless things -- because we need lots of grace, ourselves.

You've got all the grace you need from me -- just shower some back on me, okay?

Erica said...

I am just glad that all we have to do is earnestly ask the Lord for forgiveness and He forgives. I am glad that each day is a new one. I am glad that you have so many wise Christian friends to lift you up when my words do not seem like enough. I am glad that I can call you my friend:)