Thursday, June 29, 2006

Bout Blogging

I often have people ask me about my blogging. I thought it was time to share some of my secrets.

  1. I use Bloglines! I started Bloglines awhile back and it has made blogging so much easier and quicker! I list all the blogs I'm currently reading and they are highlighted when the blog as a new post. I don't have to open a blog page only to discover that the same post is there from last week. You can read the post on bloglines page or open up the blog page. I usually open the page - I like to read off of people's own templates. This also allows me to comment if I want to. It's free (Karene) and yall should all subscribe. I've included a bloglines button on the right side of my template so you can link it from there whenever you're ready.
  2. I don't comment all the time. That's right - I'm one of those people. I may read a blog all the time and never comment. I may read yours and never write a comment. I love yall more than my luggage but time isn't always on my side.
  3. I write first. On the days that I know I'm writing a post - I write first. If an email has to go out, I write first. If I start with my blogs, then I may not have time to write. Write first.
  4. I blog early. Now, during the summer, I usually blog about 7:00 before the kids get up. I have a cup of coffee and I get up to refill and go potty. Yes, I do come back here to read during the day and the children generally follow me (I'm the Pipe Piper, follow me.) These I try to keep to snatches. Don't ask my kids if I'm on the computer all the time - I'm sure they think I am.
  5. I consider this a hobby. I happens to be a hobby that I share with lots of people and talk about alot but a hobby none the less. It puts a different perspective on it for me - I don't know how to explain it.
  6. I edit. This is important! I always reread my posts and edit. Add here, take away there, put in the word I forgot earlier, clarify sentences and attempt to have some grammatical structure. I check the spelling with spell check and go to Dictionary.com if I need to. I have read some non-editors and it can get to be too had to understand - take too long to read. I know it takes time but I know it makes a difference.

Those are my little tips. Please feel free to comment and add your own. None of us want our hobby to over take our lives!! Or do we? (cue scary laugh)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fine Denise. I see how it is. If you don't want to blog on mine, just say so. hehe Just kidding. Reading all the blogs takes forever, and commenting is even more time. I haven't even looked at any for almost a week until today. Talk about way behind.

Tammy M. said...

Denise I love in the paragraph on editing that you left out the "r" in hard. Those are great tips on blogging. So glad you are my friend.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Okay, I've only read that about 7 times! See how important it is?

Nicole said...

Thanks for all the tips. I have to say that I went to the bloglines place and TOTALLY couldn't figure it out. I guess I really am computer illiterate! Sad to say. I need you to tell me how to do it. It think that it would help me TONS with the time issue. Ya know!

boomama said...

Great tips - and I agree. ALWAYS write first. Use Bloglines. And edit like crazy. I'm a totally compulsive editor - but not always a successful one. I don't always comment, either - good grief, if I did, my child and husband would be foraging for food and wearing the same clothes for weeks at a time.

Anonymous said...

I don't blog. I don't comment on blogs. With the exception of yours, which I find very entertaining, I read only political blogs. Now that you know my background, I have only one question for you. Who is the Pipe Piper?