Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Actions Speak Louder....

Abbie sings all the time! It's so sweet to overhear her singing a praise song and when I try to join in she usually tells me "I'm singing!" As in "I don't need your help." But yesterday was an eye-opener. Here's the lyrics to her made up song:

If you wanna be like Mommy, you have to act like her,
If you wanna be like Mommy, you have to act like her,
Come on, come on, you have to act like her....

I know I have alot of influence over my children but, this is down right scary. I wanna say "Don't act like me, act like Christ!" I know better than anybody what a sinful, horrible person I am and I want my kids to be better than that! I must accept the gift that God has given me (and I asked for) and I also must accept the responsibility.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww...sinful, yes, because we all are. But horrible? You're not horrible!! I actually kinda like you Denise!! =)

Sarah said...

One of my favorite songs is a daddy singing, "I want to be just like You, 'cause he wants to be just like me. I want to be a holy example for his innocent eyes to see." and AMEN!! I'm with you, sister -- please don't be like me, be like Christ!

Anonymous said...

You were a terrible little kid...but grew into a wonderful adult and mother. Keep singing.

Anne said...

Makes this song come to mind...

Oh be careful little eyes what you see...
Oh be careful little ears what you hear...
Oh be careful little mouth what you say...
Oh be careful little feet where you go..


Mothering is so hard, yet so great! Unfortunately, there are lots of bad habits that I see Natalie repeating of mine...AGH!

For the record, I think you are an incredible person and mommy! You can point Abbie to Christ in powerful ways!