Monday, November 13, 2006

Kenny's Birth - Part Two

As promised....

When we arrived at the OB's office we had to wait - I remember pacing the floor because I was uncomfortable and nervous. They did the routine (for me) blood draw, tinkle in a cup, and get hooked up to the fetal monitor. I would sit in a recliner and they would check on Kenny (Peanut, at the time.) I had this done this 2 or 3 times already. The doctor came in and checked on the monitor strip.

Let me take this time to tell you about my doctor. Dr. Jimmy Sparks wore beautiful tassel loafers with his scrubs. Or he had on his nicely startched lab coat with his name over the pocket. He was always professional and yet caring. I was never uncomfortable with him! I have since decided that he spoiled me for every other OB/GYN. None have been able to compare or be as wonderful. One in Arkansas failed miserably and paid the price by me changing doctors - quickly.

Sooooo, Dr. Sparks decided to prescibe me an antiacid and sent me home. Kenny looked fine - I was only 33 weeks. Go home and lie on your left side - same old, same old. Then one of the nurses came in with my chart, "Wait, there's protein in your urine. I'm sending you over to the hospital." NOW!? Ok. One of the other nurses (yes, there were many! I'm talking wonderful practice!) took me, in a wheelchair, over to the hospital. They were within the same city block by we traveled up and down and past the kitchen. It was strange and surreal. I was installed in Room 3, which I later learned was for high- risk pregnacies, and hooked up to an IV.

I still didn't get it. I knew I was high-risk (at 35) but I expected everything to be fine. Maybe we just couldn't anticipate it because we had no previous experence. I don't know.

I was filled up with magnesium and got really hot! The inside of my mouth was warm - it was weird. I had the A/C turned down to 50 and I was still hot. Jim will tell you it was freezing in my rooms for the next week! About 5 days after Kenny was born it turned cold out and my mom came to visit me and Kenny. She had on her big coat and I told her to take her coat off - we're inside. She told me it was cold in my room and she'd leave it on, thank you. Jim went to move the car and get the telephone numbers and I called Margaret. She worked downtown and I couldn't believe how fast she got there! The (wonderful) doctor came in and told me I would be delivering this baby today while she was with me. But I'm only 33 weeks and I'm not having any contractions - how can I deliver? It didn't matter - it was him come out or me get sicker.

I was sick. My blood wouldn't clot - a sign that my liver wasn't functioning well. My blood pressure was high - a sign that my arterties may close up and cause a stroke. I remember lots of people from my parent's church coming and offering prayer. I remember my mom and dad being there. I remember that Jim didn't go into the operating room with me. I was given general anaesthesia - so I had to go it alone. I was cold, lonely, and waiting for a second doctor in the OR. I was too drugged or freaked out to cry.

When I woke up, my mom was there and the first thing I said was "Is he okay?" My mom assured me he was and I started to pester her. "But is he ok?" "Yes, he's fine." "Is he retared?" (I was worried about that thoughout my pregnacy - I was 35.) "No, he's fine." "But is he Down's?!?" My mom told the nurse that I worked with retarded kids - that should explain everything.

Sorry so long. If you've made it this far, come back and read about the NICU, open beds, IVs for premies, etc.

Edited to add: I should have said "special needs kids." I was never that insensitive when I worked with that population! Just coming out of anaesthesia is one thing - now is another!


Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear the rest. =) I knew Kenny was a preemie..but I am loving hearing the whole story.